Monday, November 26, 2012

Moorhen! Garden Tick! and other Birds about.



Moorhen Gallinula chloropus
 Moorhen sightings are sort of rare on Fair Isle maybe one or two a year.What a surprise today to see  this one hanging out in my garden and pond. This Brambling was  a surprise this morning as well.

 I wired up a old freezer basket to make a feeding cage for small birds.I made it for the Great Tit that was being bullied by the Starlings and Rock Doves. Also the House Sparrows and this Brambling seem to like it just fine, while the Starling hate it.

Bohemian Waxwing
My Resent Birds of note:

Nov. 23 - Hen Harrier, Great Tit, Waxwing, 20 Snow Buntings

Nov. 24 - 2 Waxwings, Skylark, Water Rail, 12 Snow Buntings, Great Tit, 5 Snipe, 3 Blackbirds.

Nov. 25 - 14 Waxwings, 3 Robins, Great Tit, 20 Snow Buntings, 140 Fieldfare, 20 Blackbirds, 12 Redwing, 3 Woodcock, 3 Snipe, Long Eared Owl, Chiffchaff, Blue Fulmar
(took a Sunday drive which added to my totals)

Nov 26 - 3 Waxwings, Brambling, Moorhen., Robin, 3 Redwing, 12 Fieldfare, 6 Snow Buntings Woodcock. 5 Blackbirds


A Chiffchaff is a strange sight this time of year.

The rare Great Tit is still hanging about the south of the Isle.
http://twitchingtrees.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/great-tit-ontwitching-trees-stick.html

Blue Fulmar still here too.

6 comments:

  1. Sometimes I think we live on a different island. I'm probably doing the wrong walks so it's really nice to check out your site Tommy. I love this Moorhen. Quite elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not positive where you’re getting your info, however great topic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I needs to spend some time studying more or understanding more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for magnificent information I used to be in search of this information for my mission.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have discovered It positively useful and it has helped me out loads.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am hoping to give a contribution & help other customers like its helped me. Good job.

    ReplyDelete